Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The "Holds"

I don't have much to report on this week. I worked everyday, except Sunday, and even picked up a few hours to help out. We are short staffed at the Main library just because people are taking vacations and it's the last of the fiscal year and the department doesn't have any more money to hire substitutes until this month, I think. And, to top it off - the newer Aides are still unknowingly getting confused about where materials go and what priorities for check out are. I have started doing a sweep for stuff when I get there and try to gently remind them when they forget something. For example, we get delivery bins everyday from the other libraries, returning books that belong to our certain library and also "holds" - which are requests patrons have made. These holds have a white paper wrapped around it with their name, so their easily spotted among the bins. When the delivery comes we have to stop our usual check in and trigger those holds and get them on the shelves, so they can be accessible for the patrons. When I come in at 5pm, I see hold bins sitting with the delivery and the new guys just checking in. I usually pipe up and say, "Hey, there's holds back there", etc. I've done this a few times - you'd think they get the hint. Nope. I'm not trying to be self-righteous here - I'm just trying to help our department run as smoothly as possible. I'm glad I am observant, but sometimes it gets me more frustrated.

0 comments: