Monday, August 27, 2007

Portland Graduation


The weekend in Portland was really fun and good bonding time with Mom and Dad. We got to Portland early on Friday and had time to do some sightseeing. The rental car came with a GPS unit and Dad really liked that - it really helped us get around. The funniest route we took was from the airport to the hotel. Dad picked the "shortest route" and so we were driving some back roads and even some bumpy roads. We were really doubting the directions when all of the sudden the hotel sprang into view. It was really funny - but I guess you had to be there. Our hotel room was really spiffy - and it even had an indoor pool and jacuzzi. I was really wishing I had thought to pack my suit! We took some time to see the temple and it was a beautiful day - as you can tell from the pictures.

Saturday of the graduation I was kind of nervous. More like I had butterflies. We got to PSU (Portland State University) a little bit early - but it was perfect because I had to get into my cap and gown for pictures. Mom and Dad just went down to the Farmer's Market while they waited for the ceremony to start. All three times I have been in Portland there has been a Farmer's Market going on at PSU - it must be a summer event. Anyway, the graduation ceremony was great and quite enjoyable. I even got a little teary-eyed when the President conferred the degree. It was a nice day. Mom and Dad gave me some lavender roses they had bought at the Market - it was Dad's idea. Cute huh? We didn't stay long at the reception, but did some walking around downtown Portland. I really wanted to see this famous Portland building that was built to look like a cake, but I didn't see the resemblance. Dad told us all about it - he came to Portland while on a school field trip while in grad school. After the extensive walk we got some dinner and then just relaxed the rest of the evening. We didn't do much in Portland, but it was a relaxing and fun trip.

0 comments: