Friday, August 10, 2007

My Date with Ethan

So, I have to share about my date last Friday. It went really well, I think! I was so nervous after I initially called Ethan, and was worried because Janey and I didn't have a set plan on what we were going to do, etc. Janey is a more of a fly by the seat of your pants kind of girl - but I don't like not having a plan set! We decided on going up to a canyon for a picnic, then maybe getting ice cream afterwards. We played around with making tinfoil dinners and then decided to do sandwiches - then decided to buy Subway. Well, as Friday evening came closer I had opportunities to talk to Ethan. The last time I called him he answered, "Hey Elizabeth" - that means he had my name in his address book of his phone!
He came to our house, looking all spiffy, and all my anxieties went away. Janey went with Mike, who lives downstairs, and he offered to drive because he is prone to car sickness. So, we first went over to Subway to get some sandwiches - then we were planning on going up to a canyon for a picnic. Ethan was a perfect gentleman - he opened my doors, etc. Well, I let him order before me and before I knew it, while I was still ordering my sub, he was paying for me! I was shocked, I think I forgot to thank him. What a nice guy! Well, our canyon plan changed to just going up to Memory Grove. We put out a blanket and had an awesome picnic. The four of us started talking together, but then Janey and Mike started talking to each other and Ethan and I started talking to each other exclusively. It was nice - we had a really good conversation - and he is a good listener. He would ask follow up questions about something I had talked about and I found myself opening up to him. Hopefully I didn't make him uncomfortable - but he really appeared like he was genuinely interested!
So, after about 2 hours, we packed up and decided to make a stop for some ice cream. We stopped at Baskins and Robbins - and once again Ethan was paying for me before I had a chance to even get into my purse. I thanked him this time - what a nice guy! We sat outside on a little patch of grass and ate our cones. While sitting there, Ethan would say hello to people passing by. One guy stopped when Ethan asked him about the book he was carrying. We discussed mystery novels for a bit, then I totally understood where Ethan was going with this conversation. Ethan then asked this guy if he had read the Book of Mormon. The guy said he hadn't and said something like, "I think it's unbelievable, and I mean literally". Anyway - that isn't what was shocking, because rejections like that not rare. What was shocking was that Ethan totally did that on a date! What are your thoughts on that? I still haven't decided. What I have figured out is that Ethan is still in missionary mode - which is not bad in any way - but that he seems to keep the "sisters" at arm distance. Where is the balance?
Anyway - we went back to our house and talked for a few minutes - then he said he needed to leave so I walked him outside. No, he didn't hug me and I was tempted but his body language didn't really invite it. He was really gracious about the evening and I hinted that we should get together again sometime. I felt good about the experience, but didn't come away feeling encouraged. He doesn't really give off any vibes or signals, so I don't know what to think. At least I asked him out, so hopefully he knows that I'm interested in getting know him better. I feel like Kenny Loggins when he sings,
"I wanna sing you a love song,
I wanna rock you in my arms all night long,
I wanna get to know you,
I wanna show you the peaceful feeling of my home
".

0 comments: