Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Spider and the Fly

So, at the library I have the October window display. I did it last December and did the little fireplace, etc etc. Well, Oct is Halloween month but I didn't want to do the token witch and what not. I thought it would be fun to do words from a scary poem and I remember a poem called, "The Spider and the Fly". It's about this spider who entices the fly to come inside his house and he ends up catching and eating the fly. It's a cautionary tale, and quite symbolic if you think about it. So, I used the first paragraph of that poem and now needed some pictures to go with it. I also remembered this neat illustrated copy of this poem:

So, I enlarged images from this book, with our opaque projector, and colored it in with black artist chalk. It turned out pretty well for my first time. I'll send pictures along as soon as I have them. Well a dilemma developed when I attemped to get the big spider laminated. The spider is as wide as butcher paper and his legs are kind of sprawled out (he's bowing the fly-girl) Well, I knew our library laminator wouldn't be wide enough for such an endeavor so I took it downtown to Kinkos. I learned later that Kinkos is expensive for laminating and it was true because it cost 50 bucks to laminate the spider and fly! Can you believe that? I obviously didn't understand how the pricing worked and was upset with myself for letting that happen. Well, I talked to my boss about it and he said for me turn in my receipts and see how much they would be willing to reimburse me. If even half of money could be paid back I would take it! I've definitely learned my lesson! Yikes! Well, at least it looks great and we'll have it for a long time! (hehe)

0 comments: