Monday, December 3, 2007

Elder Nelson

You'll never believe who came to our ward Christmas party on Monday evening. For the past two weeks they have been announcing this dinner and that this special speaker was coming, etc etc. Well, I put two and two together when I remembered that my bishop's father-in-law is Elder Russell M. Nelson. Well, I guessed right because he and his new wife were in the living room when I got to my bishop's house. I got to shake both of their hands - I wish I could remember Elder Nelson's handshake, but I was so nervous that I have now almost forgotten it. Anyway, they both spoke after dinner. Bishop introduced them, "Dad and Wendy", and told a funny story about when he was dating Elder Nelson's daughter. He was at their house, I think they were parked in the driveway and it was getting a bit late, and E. Nelson was flicking off and on the lights. Then E. Nelson came out and said to Bishop Miles, "Do you realize that you're still here?". I loved that! Sister Nelson spoke about answered prayers and Elder Nelson talked about Heavenly Father and the difference between immortality and eternal life. He used scriptures from Moses and John 17. I wish I could have taken notes - but I didn't even think to bring a notebook! It was a special evening. I guess that initially Elder Nelson declined the invitation to our Christmas dinner, saying that he doesn't usually talk at private settings like these. But, later Bishop went back and asked again, telling him that he was getting released in the new year. Elder Nelson agreed and we were all edified. Something Elder Nelson as he was closing really stuck out to me, "This is the Lord's work - I so testify..." Wow, an apostle's testimony - talk about powerful! What an opportunity! It was so surreal.

0 comments: