Friday, June 8, 2007

Music and movies

I've been spending a lot of time at Mom and Dad's this last week. Mom taught the Presidency lesson on Sunday about coming unto Christ and she wanted me to find a song for her to share. It's called "Come unto Him" and the lyrics are based off the Matt 11, the last verses. It's my favorite scriptures and so naturally I love the song. I orginally had it on a mix CD that a member burned for me on my mission - but it got stolen with my other CD's and stereo. (Don't leave original CDs in the car - make copies!) Anyway - I was curious to see if I could find it online to download and I was successful. That LDSAudio.com (an LDS Itunes) had just the one I wanted, sung by the BYU University Singers, and it only cost a dollar to download. Mom was happy and I was glad to have that song in my possession again.

I found the newest X-men movie at the library and Andrew and Dad wanted to see it. So, we watched that Sunday afternoon. Andrew enjoyed seeing the extra mutants and their powers. Then afterwards we watched the first Star Trek movie. It's so cheesy - but you have to love it. Did I tell that I saw this show about these people who had possession of the props and costumes from all the Star Trek shows and were planning a big auction for them? Well, they went through and cataloged them - showing a few examples of the object in the show and they had some of the actors making commentaries, etc. Well, the auction was over 3 days and some of those props, including the big model ships they used to film, went for thousands and even hundred thousands dollars. Can you believe that? Can you justify owning a costume that Patrick Stewart wore, or a chair from the bridge, for that much money? I was flabbergasted.

We had an interesting lesson in Relief Society. The topic was having confidence in ourselves and having good thoughts, etc. Hannah, the teacher, did this object lesson with this girl. Hannah had her put her arm up, at a 90 degree angle, and then attempted to push it down while the girl tried to keep her arm up. Then she sent Liz outside and told us to think negative thoughts about her, and then brought her back in. She tried the same thing, but it was easier for her to push down her arm - her strength was gone. Hannah sent Liz out one more time and told us to think positive thoughts about her. She did the test again and this time Liz was able to keep her arm up, drastically showing more strength. The moral of the story? We need to keep our thoughts clean and pure and uplifting, about ourselves as well as about others. They really make a difference.

So, my bishop told us that the EFY program is starting a somewhat different program to help those who can't pay the full amount. They are doing day classes here in Salt Lake and it's cheaper, or something. Anyway, they were looking for volunteers to be counselors for at least a week or more. It's only lasting 4 weeks total. I gave my name to the bishop, for one week, and I got a quick email for the director and it provided training booklets to read and wanted to know my shirt size, etc. I was shocked, I thought I would need an interview or something. I guess I'm in for the week of July 16-20th at the UofU. I am excited for this opportunity - I always wanted to go to EFY! When I told Mom about it, she got excited that I meet some nice guys! (hehe) Leave it to Mom to think of that!

0 comments: