Monday, April 28, 2008

Weeding and Shelf Reading

Let me see...what else...(do you have any tuna?) I've been working as usual. I was assigned to shelf read (put the books back in order) in the 200 section - the religion and mythology section. I've had fun looking at books about Judaism and Sikhs and Rastafarian's. I finally finished putting them back in order - the mythology books were horribly mixed up - but now I'm working on weeding the biography section. I had my co-worker print off a list of biographies that haven't checked out in the last 3 years and the list is quite long. I was hesitant to get rid of so many books, but another co-worker told me that if they aren't checking out that we should make room for new ones that will. It's interesting seeing what does and doesn't check out. Like a little bio on one of the actors from that show, "Malcolm in the Middle" - Zero check outs. Not surprised there! I've filled up one cart with books and am starting on a second cart - that I've only weeded through Hillary Clinton! This is going to be a big job!
Oh, something funny. So, the children's department is brainstorming themes for next year's summer reading program. This year will be "Catch the Reading Bug". Well, so someone mentioned the superhero possibility and my co-worker wrote this email in response,
"I love, no, LOVE the Superhero idea! It's great!!! This could quite possibly be the best summer reading program ever. EVER!!! "Have a super summer at your City Library!" "The sky's the limit with a super read." "Up in the sky - It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a book!" "Fight crime; read a book." I mean come on, the possibilities are endless! Not only are superheroes EXTREMELY popular right now but they can appeal to both boys and girls. Also, think about how much fun the final party could be - each one of us could come dressed up as a superhero. "Look, it's Bibliophile Man!" "Up in the sky, there's The Marvelous Manlibrarian!" "Never fear, The Book Banshee is here!" Seriously folks... I think this one's THE ONE!" (hehe)
The marvelous manlibrarian? I just thought this was hilarious! We just have too much fun at the library! (hehe)

3 comments:

Lovely Lisa said...

Aaaugh! Shelf reading! I used to have to do that when I worked at the public library in high school. I forgot all about it. Lol... sounds like fun, I guess. :)

Anonymous said...

"I was hesitant to get rid of so many books, but another co-worker told me that if they aren't checking out that we should make room for new ones that will."

Your co-worker is a moron. What kind of criteria is that for weeding?

In the future-- 30 or 40 years-- this zeal to weed is going to be looked back on as really barbaric. Incredibly destructive. And you enjoy being part of it?

Unknown said...

For the record, that wasn't the only criteria that I used to weed out our biography collection. Let me quote from our Salt Lake City Public Library Resource Selection Policy:
"The City Library maintains an active policy of discarding outdated resources, resources no longer of interest or in demand, duplicate resources, worn or mutilated copies, and resources which no longer contribute to the total collection."
My feeling is that weeding is healthy for a public library with limited space. But, thanks for the comment with an interesting point of view!