Sunday, March 22, 2009

Virginia Report...Finally

I've been in Virginia for a month now and I've been trying to get enough motivation to write a full report of my adventure so far. Well, a month has gone by and here I am. So, I 'm going to sum it up - if you have any questions let me know.

New Job:
Wow, this is quite a job. I'm the department head for the children and young adult services at the Russell Memorial Library. Yes, I didn't realize my job would be that extensive, but it's good. My co-workers are all really nice and helpful and answer all my questions with no eye-rolling. They are just glad that I'm here because the job has been vacant for a year now. I'm starting to do some of my duties and attend meetings - I'm already very busy. I have my own desk and computer AND my own phone extension. This is serious stuff! (hehe) My primary duties are to order materials for our departments, meaning that I make final decision on what books and movies to buy. Next, I'm doing story time twice a week, (Monday is "Just for 2's" and Tuesday is "Just for 3's".) Also, I'm working on "weeding" some of the book collections. I'm currently working on the graphic novels - next I will work on the picture books. Then, I'm attending meetings, going on school visits and helping planning programs for the library. I've arranged one right now with the Virginia Beach Coast Guard to share a presentation about wrecks and rescues off the Virginia coast line - this program in going with our theme of the book we choose (Storm Warriors by: Elisa Carbone) for "One Book, One Community". It should be exciting! I think that sums up what I've been doing this last month with my job - more information to follow I imagine!

New home:
I have a cute little 1-bedroom apartment about 4 miles from the library. I work in the northwestern part of Chesapeake, and I live just a few streets out of Chesapeake, in Portsmouth (pronounced Portsmith) It only takes me 10 minutes to get to work, and on surface streets! I'm in a decent apartment complex, and so far all my neighbors are African-American. This is great! I'm still working on unloading all of my boxes, but I feel like I'm at a point where I just about settled in. I'm trying to decide to do with all my books, on one bookcase - quite a conundrum. I'm learning my way around here a little more - but it helps that I now own a GPS system. I can go exploring, then tell it take me home and it gives me directions! I love it!
My aunt, Dianna, and her family live in Chesapeake and I feel so blessed that I had family here! They helped out so much and let me come over for Sunday dinners. They're great! I've loved the time I've had with them so far and look forward to more fun times ahead!

Virginia in General:
It is so beautiful here - and many many trees to go around. The library parking lot is surround by a small forest. I'm anxious for spring to bring in all the leaves! Also, there are many rivers and water sources to cross. I cross over the Elizabeth River every day on the way to work! Besides the bridges, there is an underground tunnel, which is under the river, driving through Norfolk and it's always amazing driving through it! The weather is nice, but I heard humid times are ahead! Yeah... We had a little snow my first week and everyone was so scared to do anything! (hehe) It all melted by the end of the day! Wimps! (hehe) There is much history here and I'm anxious to visit Jamestown, Williamsburg, Yorktown and other historic landmarks. I've already been to Virginia Beach - and put my finger in the freezing Atlantic Ocean. I'll be sure to go back when it's warmer.

Ok, that's all I have time for this time! More info to come soon!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Sounds beautiful, and like it will be even more so once those leaves get on those trees! :)
Live it up!

Sarah said...

Yay! I've been waiting for an update! I'm glad to hear such positive things about your new adventure. I'm so impressed by your cross country move. :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new job. Sounds like you are settled. That's cool you have your own desk, computer, phone extension.