Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesday Wars

Seventh grader Holling Hoodhood has a tough year ahead of him. First of all, his teacher Mrs. baker, keeps giving him the evil eye. Second of all, the class bully keeps threatening to do Number 167 (and you don't even want to know what Number 167 is). Third of all, his father keeps calling him the Son Who is Going to Inherit Hoodhood and Associates. But things are changing, and while reciting his favorite curses from Shakespeare's plays, Holling might just find the true meaning of his own story.

Wednesday Wars was such a great book! I really loved this book! I loved how Holling, a 7th grader, developed an awesome friendship with his teacher, Mrs. Baker, and through reading Shakespeare he learned about life and the people around him. I laughed and cried reading this book. I've actually had the opportunity to hear the author, Gary D. Schmidt, speak at a conference and now I appreciate this book even more. I recommend this to anyone - and it's a Newbery honor book! Check it out!

0 comments: